Sunday, June 23, 2019

Post to the overview page

The site just received the following comment from an anonymous responder:

My first ancestor to come here from Devon, England was John Hawkins, Jr.  He was born in 1633 and died in 1676.  I have been trying to find a possible connection to Sarah Hawkins Sevier, wife of Tennessee's first governor, John Sevier.  I am told she was also related to Rebecca Hawkins Crockett, other of David "Davy" Crockett.  I have found that I am a descendant of the same line as Benjamin Hawkins who is buried at Biltmore Estate, but have not yet connected him to the others. 


There are so many ideas on this paragraph that I wanted to be able to make comments and links and also give any of you reading this the chance to make your own comments.  Please send me any comments that you would want to add to:  mosesm@earthlink.net
I will add them to this post or to this blog site.

So I would comment that the Benjamin Hawkins who is buried at the Biltmore Estate is connected to family group #1.  That is the same group that my father's yDNA is a part of.  Most of us in this group believe that we connect back to John and Elizabeth Butler Hawkins who seem to have died in an epidemic c. 1715 in Richmond County, Virginia.  This was a part of the Northern Neck of Virginia.  There is not proof that I know of that Elizabeth's maiden name was Butler.  However, John's will infers that she was the sister to two Butler men as he asks these men to care for his orphans in his death bed will.  We do have a member of family group #1 whose family never left England and he still lives in London.

I have written many posts about this family line on both the Hawkins DNA blog that you are on right now and also my own private blog site:

http://marshamoses.blogspot.com

I suggest that you use search words such as Northern Neck and  Hawkins to pull these posts up to read.

More than 10 years ago, Dot Hawkins and I chatted about the Biltmore graves.  She was a part of a celebration at the time that the Biltmore put on for the small cemetery on their property that the Biltmore actually maintains.  Dot sent photos for the newsletter.  I tried to pull this up this morning without luck.  Phil and I will work on doing this and when we are successful, I'll do something to make this even accessible.

No one that I know of claims Sarah Hawkins Sevier in family group #1.  But you are correct  that  family group #5 claims  Rebecca Hawkins Crockett who was Davey's mother.

We have several researchers who have lots of good information on family group #5.  One of them is Jeanne Bornefeld.  I asked her to comment on your question.  You will find her comment at:

https://hawkinsdna.blogspot.com/2019/06/family-group-5.html

Jeanne suggested that Sarah Hawkins Sevier who was the mother of John Sevier is from the same group from which Benjamin Hawkins who married Martha Borden connects.  My notes say that this is Hawkins family group #7.  I have written several blog posts about this family group.  Find them by using Family group #7 in the search box on the blog site.






2 comments:

  1. We have documented records of the wedding of our Joseph (Group 5)who died 1770 as eldest Hawkins we can prove. This Joseph married Sarah Jones Macdanielle. This Sarah is widow or divorced from Macdanielle. She is daughter of Joseph and Patience Jones , Quakers. We have documentation that their daughter, Sarah, marries John Sevier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you like to write a blog post to add to this site? I am absolutely fascinated by the group that moves with John Sevier to the area that is now Tennessee. I believe that my Morrison family moved to the area because of being influenced by John Sevier. They were traveling from Pittsylvania county to the area with the Goads....who were cousins of Johns. Contact me directly at mosesm@earthlink.net
    if you would like to help me add some of your information to out blog site. marsha

    ReplyDelete