Monday, June 29, 2015

Hawkins in Ireland

Jill Unwin's  Family Finder has come back with some Hawkins matches, but it is unclear at this time how the matches connect.  We do not know which DNA Group this Hawkins line is connected to as Jill's "Hawkins" connections are on a female side and so there is no one to do yDNA testing.  Here is some of Jill's information:


My father's Haplogroup is U.
I have my Autosomal DNA on FTDNA, kit number B60793 and on GEDMatch A015825.

My closest Hawkins ancestor is my father's great grandmother Frances Maria Hawkins who lived for some of her life in Mount Pleasant Avenue, Ranelagh (close to the house where my father lived as a boy). 


According to census records she had been born in 1828, Wexford, probably at  Ballycoursey, Enniscorthy the seat of the Hawkins family. 


At the time of her marriage to Ralph Robert Thornbury (in Dublin, 1846) Frances was a 'minor' and her father was given as Anthony (a Gentleman).  The couple had at least twelve children including my father's grandmother Jessie Marion Thornbury. Another  child, eldest son Dr Anthony William Thornbury Hawkins (born 1847 Pleasants Street) drowned in a boating incident in Australia at the age of 22.

Around the time of Frances's death in 1901 an article was placed in the Irish Times regarding her missing Will (dated 6 Aug 1891). It mentioned her properties consisting of an annuity arising from houses in Pleasants Street and rents from other property in Wexford. One relative cited was living at an unknown address in America. I have been unable to ascertain any other names associated with the Will (which I understand no longer exists).

Frances's grandfather (?) Sir Anthony Hawkins (an attorney) , was most likely born in Enniscorthy Castle, Wexford in 1775. 



Sir Anthony Hawkins married Anne Hagarty in 1807. They had at least three children (Anne, William and possibly Frances).
In 1798 the Hawkins families were heavily involved in the Vinegar Hill battles and suffered many losses, so I assume  that orphaned, surviving nephews and nieces may well have been reared by other family members.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vinegar_Hill


Anthony also had several addresses in Dublin, including Camden Street, Henrietta Street, Hume Street. According to the General  Armoury,  he was granted arms at around the time of his marriage. 
Anthony had a nephew (probably William's son) Anthony John Hawkins (of Leopardstown and of London) who was married to Sarah Maguire or McGinn. Anthony John Hawkins also had a mistress (surname Browne) with whom he had three children and who after the death of Sarah his wife, Anthony brought up as his own. There is a marriage record for a Mary Browne and John Hawkins in 1850, St Mary's Enniscorthy. I also think he may have married Leticia Margaret Clarke.


As I have been unable to find a baptism record for my great x 2 grandmother, Frances Maria Hawkins, I am unsure whether her father is Anthony (b 1775 - 1867)), or Anthony John Hawkins (b 1807 - 1866). Anthony (Gentleman) is definitely given on her marriage record though. 
It seems most likely to me that Sir Anthony H is the son of John Hawkins (born 1748 - 1824) a tenant farmer in Mungoduff, Wicklow and his wife Elizabeth Emelia Bacon. 
Also that this John, was the son of John of  Brusseltown (1725) and Elizabeth Codd (Code) of Anghold. Some family emigrated to Ontario and to the USA. 
My best guess from here backwards is that bearing in mind the Hawkins were given vast lands, John, of Brusseltown may well have been a grandson of William ( Ulster King of Arms) and Elizabeth Mutlow. Still working on this theory though!

According to family lore, which does in my forty years of research look increasingly likely to hold water, our line goes back to Admiral Sir John Hawkins. It also includes countless notable names including author Anthony Hope Hawkins. Still with so many unsolved answers I'm hopeful that DNA will prove or deny these claims.

So ... to sum up, I think my line is likely to be:

Frances Maria 1846 +Thornbury. Anthony 1775 +Hagarty or Anthony John 1807 +Bacon.  John 1725 +Codd.  

21 comments:

  1. I have been searching for many years for the parents of my great great great grandmother Charlotte Hawkins b. 1789 in County Wicklow. Family legend has it that Charlotte was the daughter of a landowner. She fell in love with the estate's gamekeeper George Lee. As this relationship was not approved she was disowned by her family. She and George moved to Dublin where they raised a family of 8. About 1841 the entire family including adult children, packed up and moved to Ontario Canada. I have long been looking for a Hawkins family who were landowners sufficient to have required a gameskeeper. I stumbled across Jill Unwin's family tree today and wondered if this might be the right family. There is no mention of a Charlotte though. I wondered about Rodger Hawkins 1754-1824. Does anyone have more information about him? Or has anyone stumbled across a birth record for a Charlotte Hawkins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might try faysgenealogy.com. I found extensive research on my Hawkins great++ grandparents(Thomas, Thomas, Roger Thomas) going back to Ugborough, Devon, UK, from which the Roger branch seemed to be established before heading to Ireland and then to Beckwith Twp, in southeastern Canada.

      Delete
    2. John William Hawkins was a Farmer and so forth his descendants ,

      Delete
  2. Also Jill, I looked for your kit #A015825 on Gedmatch but it doesn't show up for me. My Gedmatch Kit # is T958961 Patricia Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also Jill, I looked for your kit #A015825 on Gedmatch but it doesn't show up for me. My Gedmatch Kit # is T958961 Patricia Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, contact me directly at mosesm@earthlink.net and I'll give you Jill's e-mail address....I am sure she wouldn't mind. marsha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marsha ... thanks for passing my email to Pat ... we are now in touch and established a DNA match for her with my late father. My Gedmatch kit number has changed and is now A021058, my sister A336409 and father T952524.
    On FTDNA mine is B116205 and father B66161 and family finder 430489.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family is descended from Anthony's sister Sarah who married Matthew Hagarty abt 1806.
    Their youngest son was an Anthony.

    Most of their children emigrated to Upper Canada now Ontario.
    One- Henry to Pennsylvania.
    I believe Fedelia stayed behind and married Anthony Corley MD from Dublin.
    I cannot place Anthony.

    I am descended from another son Sir John Hawkins Hagarty 1816-1900 he is my gg grandfather.

    I don't need a DNA test, we pass the Hawkins nose test, if you google image my gggrandparent, or his grand daughter the painter Clara S Hagarty you'll see.
    My Father William Biscoe Hagarty is also blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. .... thanks for the additional information. I haven’t visited this site for a while and it’s good to still be in touch.
    My father was also teased as a child and told he had the Hawkins nose!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! :) I wonder if anyone follows this any longer? My GGGG grandfather was Thomas Hawkins born in 1806. He lived with his family in Wexford but I am not sure where he was born...I was told England but I am not sure of the lineage or where. Does this name tie into any family trees? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There was a Thomas Hawkins that married twice maybe 3 times he was married to Rebecca Dagg and had lots of children then He Married Mary Moody and had lots of children my 2 x great grandfather was William Hawkins of Rustyduff Co/ Wicklow from the Marriage of Mary Moody

      Delete
  9. Hi All! Thank you for sharing here about your Hawkins grancestors. I am a DNA match for some ancestry users who have their Hawkins in Tourboy. All I know is my GGG was Frances Hawkins b. about1819 in Ireland. She married a Thomas Moffett in a ROMAN CATHOLIC wedding in Clonmore, Carlow on 17 Jan 1843. I know nothing else about her family. I am also a DNA match on ancestry with someone who goes back to an Esau Hawkins in Lanark. If anyone can shed some light I'd be so grateful!

    Regards, Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get some comments that are of help to your research, Veronica! Do any of you know which yDNA group these Hawkins men belong to? marsha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marsha, Oh my I am just seeing your response. Unfortunately my Hawkins was a female. I have matches to descendants of Mathew Hawkins 1806 - 1866 / Sarah ? 1805 - 1934. I also have a match or two to descendants of Frances Finlay Hawkins 1809-1889 (of Hawkins/Dagg line) and her uncle who she married, Richard. I wonder if Mathew is another brother to Richard. Trees have Richard as one of the sons of "William John" or John Hawkins + Elizabeth Bacon.

    I appreciate any insights here. Thank you! :) Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi i am a descendant of John Hawkins and Elizabeth Bacon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi all, I am also a descendant of John Hawkins and Elizabeth Bacon. The furthest I've gone back is William Hawkins "The Alderman",v1618–1680
    BIRTH 1618 • Slapton, Devon, or Oxford, England
    DEATH 22 DEC 1680 • Dublin, Ireland
    I am on ancestry.com and if anyone would like to look at it please let me know. My 2nd great grandfather was John Abdolonymus Hawkins 1865–1931 BIRTH 24 MARCH 1865 • Pepin, Pepin County, Wisconsin, USA. DEATH 30 JUNE 1931 • Pepin, Pepin County, Wisconsin, USA. I live in Pepin, WI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your information, Jackie. Because this blog is hosted by google, it gets more hits than one might expect. marsha

      Delete
  14. Hi Marsha, just getting in touch as I think you (and Jill) might be interested to see an image of a painting which I have access to. My family have long thought it to be William Hawkins, Alderman (d. 1680). We are descendants of one of his great great granddaughters, Theodosia Meade (nee Magill). The painting features a well dressed man standing in front of a backdrop which includes the old St Paul’s Cathedral and London Bridge. Our family thinks (thought) William was an Alderman of London, but on further research it may have been of Dublin. Maybe you know more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. I recently uploaded DNA to Gedmatch and I have discovered that I have matches with a K Hawkins in New Zealand who is a descendant of George Hawkins originally from the Glen of Imaal in West Wicklow. I also have matches to the Hobsons who were related and also moved from Wicklow to New Zealand. My Gedmatch number is: CD3892824.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of you make me very happy that you are getting in touch and finding cousins! Keep up the good work. If you want me to add more to the original blog post, I would be happy to work with you. Contact me directly at mosesm@earthlink.net Marsha Hawkins Moses

    ReplyDelete