Sunday, March 31, 2019

Joseph Hawkins and his wife, Margaret Conner

In an effort to break through my brick wall on my own Hawkins line, I am reading everything that I can find on Stafford County, Virginia.  I printed out the Stafford County research WIKI from Family search and am systematically going through each entry.  Stafford is a burned county, so the research is  challenging.

However, one of the first things that I am looking at are the George Harrison King papers held by the Virginia Historical Society.  I found finding just what I wanted to see to be less than simple, so I am going to write how I got to the pages that I am looking at.  First on the Stafford County Wiki, I clicked on Virginia Genealogy beside the reference to George Harrison King.  Once there, I clicked the large blue button that says Virginia Online Records.  Next under vital records I chose Virginia Historical Society Papers.  I scrolled down to:


Browse through 918,495 images
And then clicked on that link.  That pulls up a list of the digital records that are available on-line.  I chose the George Harrison Sanford King Papers. Then go to Series I: Harrison to Hite.  When the images come up,  Put image #2152 into the search box.
The Hawkins line that is being discussed is that of John Hawkins of Spotsylvania County.  Mr. King is writing information to a woman who is a descendant of Capt. John Hawkins and has asked if he can help her ascertain parents for her ancestor.

Mr. King says that Mrs. Susannah (Sukey) Edmonson Wyatt was old in 1805. She knew Peggy Conner personally.  Peggy had been orphaned.  Peggy's half brother was her guardian.  This man who was her guardian was Mrs. Susannah Sukey Edmonson Wyatt's husband, Thomas Wyatt.  Peggy Conner had lived in their home in Essex County, Virginia.
Mrs. Wyatt says that Peggy married Joseph Hawkins.
And Mr. King also says that much later in Fayette County, Kentucky in 1800, Peggy Conner Hawkins made a deposition in which she says that she lived with her half-brother, Thomas Wyatt in Essex and in 1752 he moved to Spotsylvania.  Mr. King also says that he found guardian accounts for Margaret Conner, orphan of Martin Conner, in County Essex in the years 1749-1753 settled by Thomas Wyatt.  Mr. King surmises that Thomas Wyatt was the only father that Peggy Conner ever knew.

Mr. King then also puts forth the theory that Capt. John Hawkins (1756-1833) who is the ancestor of his client was the son of Joseph Hawkins and his wife Margaret Conner.

On image 2154 there is VERY interesting information about slaves that had belonged to these people.  As part of this information Mr. King adds this chart:


On the next few pages there is information about John Hawkins, son of Joseph and Peggy Conner Hawkins having lived in Amherst County between Spotsylvania and Kentucky.

On image #2179 there is information on the John and Mary Langford Hawkins line.but I have run out of steam....If you believe you descend from this family, I am happy to help you get to this information

No comments:

Post a Comment