Friday, January 19, 2018

Hawkins Family Group #1 autosomal Match

When it rains, it pours!  Very happy autosomal match that led to a connection between the Short Mountain subgroup of Family Group #1 and a Hawkins group in Illinois!

Erin e-mailed me that detective work on an ancestor named Mary/Polly Tinney who married a John Hawkins led to discovery of an autosomal match on Ancestry which connected her results to a Hawkins male's kit in Illinois.  This led Erin to do some research that clarifies many questions about the Hawkins family that is found in Madison County, Kentucky after the Revolutionary War.  The family moves to Warren County, TN between 1807 and 1810 where some of them are still living to this day.  However part of them moved instead to Illinois.

Here are two older blog posts that I wrote last year with the help of several of the Short Mountain TN subgroup of Family Group #1:

http://hawkinsdna.blogspot.com/2017/01/family-group-1-short-mountain-subgroup.html

http://hawkinsdna.blogspot.pe/2017/01/hawkins-autosomal-dna-matches-in-family.html


The following is information sent to Erin by her autosomal matches' wife:

The HAWKINS Journey
This was a very complicated journey and I want to walk you through it the best that I can.

We knew that John Hawkins children: Reuben T, Griffith T, John D, Joshua and Bathsheba were born in Tennessee but where?
Several years ago I took a blank 1820 and 1830 census form and filled them out with John and his children. Then I checked the whole state of TN for a John and family that would fit. I only found 2 and they were both in Warren Co., TN. I looked at the 1820 first and they could fit in with both John’s but in the 1830 census they could only fit with one and almost perfect except we are missing one son.
I started checking this John out and found that he was born in Virginia and moved to Madison Co., Kentucky and then moved to Warren Co., TN with his Mother, brother’s and sister’s between 1807 and 1810. They were all there by 1812. I think they moved in two groups.
His father Joseph SR was born in 1747 in Spotsylvania, VA. and died in 1803 in Madison Co., KY.
I have a copy of his will.
His mother Susannah Petty born 1848 and died May 1823 in TN
Children:
Martha Patsy 1772-1845 md Richard Boucher (Butcher)
John 1771-1840’s md Polly Tinney
Joseph JR 1773-1820 md Charity Miller 



Susannah 1775-1853 md William Campbell
Sarah 1781-1830 md John Pitts​
Reuben 1785-1851 never married
They were all married in Madison Co., KY.
They all appear in the census records for Warren and Cannon Co’s. , TN. I don’t think that they moved, the boundaries just changed. Cannon was formed in 1836 from Warren and other counties.
I could not find any more about John and his family so I just put everything away. I was sure that I had the right family but could not prove it.
I decided to go back and do more research on the Moore line. Mary Elizabeth Moore is the grandmother of Ida Mae Beach Hawkins who married William Rasmus Hawkins 2 Dec 1903. I was checking the information about her brother, Emery G Moore 1833-1912.
His second marriage was to a Elizabeth Williams (Maiden name Biggs) born 1836 in Illinois.
I remembered that John Dillard Hawkins ( Griffith’s brother) in the 1850 census had some Biggs children living with him. Jonathan 19 born 1831, Elizabeth 13 born 1837 and Sarah Ann 11 born 1839. I always wondered who they belong to.
I found out that their father was Bennett Biggs 1793-1849
Mother was Elizabeth Hawkins born 3 Nov 1802 Kentucky - died 16 Oct 1846 Fayette Co., IL. Buried in the Pratt Cemetery. She was from Warren County, Tenn. and her father’s name was John Hawkins.
I had just found another daughter for our John, his first child Elizabeth, who married Bennett Biggs in Warren Co., TN. probably about 1820 or 1821.

Bennett Biggs was the key that opened the door.
He lived by Richard Butcher, William Campbell and John Hawkins in 1830 in Warren Co., TN census.
He moved with John Hawkins and family to Clinton Co., IL about 1833.
He married Reuben T Hawkins in 1834 in Clinton Co., IL*****
He married Griffith T Hawkins in 1834 in Clinton Co., IL******
He lived next to Joshua Hawkins and Griffith Hawkins in the 1840 Fayette Co., IL Census.
( I think that the male living with Joshua (70-80) is our John Hawkins)
He died 30 Oct. 1849 Fayette Co., IL. Buried in Pratt Cemetery, Fayette Co., IL
His 3 children went to live with their Uncle John Dillard Hawkins
I told Karen, my niece, what I had found and we started looking again. There were 3 John Hawkins in Madison Co., KY at the same time. One was married to a Polly Finney 12 Mar. 1801 but we did not know if this was the right one or not. We ruled out the one married to a Rhoda Crook.
One day I was looking through the Land Records again for Griffith T Hawkins in Fayette Co., IL and I saw in the 1840 and the 1844 record’s they have his name as Griffith Tinney Hawkins . I had always thought this just was a mistake. In rechecking I thought, the Land records should be correct and they both were showing the same thing 4 years apart. I told Karen that Tinney and Finney were really close. As I was talking to Karen I was going through a folder and a found a record from Family Search that had a John Hawkins and a Polly Turner married 11 Mar 1801 in Madison Co., KY. I told her that I had checked this Polly Turner out and did not find anything. Karen went on Family Search and put in John Hawkins and Polly Tinney and there was their marriage record showing they got married Mar 12, 1801 in Madison Co., KY.
We believe that Griffith’s middle name was Tinney and not Tomey and that he was named after his mother Mary (Polly) Tinney. We know that she was still alive in 1834 when Reuben was married by Bennett Biggs because she gave her consent.
We feel that all this proves at long last, that John Hawkins and Polly Carney who were married in Maury Co., TN in 1816 and had one child in the 1820 Maury Co., TN census is not our John, the father of our Reuben T, Griffith T, John D, Joshua, and Bathsheba. 
We are still missing 4 sons and maybe 1 daughter from the 1820 Warren Co., TN census
If you are having trouble following all this just imagine trying to find it all.
Have fun looking all this up and see what your conclusions are.

(Signature of author of above withheld until permission to use name)
Erin's Ancestry match's line:  Ronald Harold Hawkins, William Harold Hawkins, William Rasmus Hawkins, Lewis Foster Hawkins, Griffith Tinney Hawkins, John Hawkins, Joseph Hawkins , etc.

I would add that we have at least two yDNA participants who represent this Hawkins family line:  Bret Hawkins and Mike Hawkins (I paid for Mike's kit many years ago and he graciously did the test to prove that Elaine and I were looking at the same Hawkins family line).  Both are part of Hawkins yDNA family group #1.

2 comments:

  1. my Name is James William Hawkins- my father's name was Henry Stephenson Hawkins- his father's name was William Walter Hawkins- They were from Marion Va- buried at Round Hill Cemetery- William Walter married Rachel Sexton- hit wall after William Walter Hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving your comment, Jim. I know Marion, Va well. My niece was married there and we had good times celebrating. Have you done yDNA testing?

    ReplyDelete