Thursday, March 2, 2017

Family Group #1

I get updates on the Ancestry site of Nancy Pack about her Hawkins family which connects to Family Group #1.  I have seen a transcription of the will of her ancestor, Benjamin Hawkins, who died in McMinn County, TN in 1827.  Nancy gave me permission to post it on this site so that others might benefit from the information in the will:




Last Will and Testament of Benjamin Hawkins

The Last Will and Testament of Benjamin Hawkins.
In the name of God, Amen. I, Benjamin Hawkins of the State of Tennessee and McMinn County, being in a low state of health, but in my perfect senses and memory and calling to mind things that might take place in my body and being desirous to dispose of my worldly property that God has blessed me with as follows _____first I recommend my soul to Almighty God that gave it and my body to be decently buried at the discretion of my Friends.

First, all my lawful debts to be paid out of my property.

Second, I will and bequeath all my property both real and personal to my beloved wife, Mary Hawkins, and to my daughter, Polly Hawkins, during their natural life - and my wife shall choose one of her children to take care of her and her daughter, Polly, during their life, then I will and bequeath one half of all my property real and personal to the one that takes care of them and the other half to be equally divided among all my lawful children. Only I will and bequeath to my Grand Daughter, Nancy Templeton, one bed and the clow (covers?) belonging to it .
And lastly, I do hereby constitute and appoint my son, James Hawkins and my son, Benjamin Hawkins, Executors of this my last Will and Testament revoking all other wills and testaments heretofore made. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 28th day of December, 1827.

Signed: Benjamin Hawkins (his mark)

Signed sealed and publickly (sic) delivered to be the last Will and Testament of the above named Benjamin Hawkins in the presence of us at his request and in his presence have hereunto subscribed our names as Witnesses of the same in Test.

Signed: John Walker
Signed: Levine L. Sale 193 3 May 1831 Cause heard in Chancery Court. James, Benjamin, William, John, Joseph, Rolla, and Polly Hawkins, David Newman and wife, Sally, formerly Hawkins, john Campbell and wife Blanche late Hawkins, Greenville, William, Nancy and Polly Templeton, children of John Templeton and wife Nancy, late, Hawkins are complainants and heirs of Benjamin Hawkins for land in McMinn Co.

it was transcribed by Dorothy Smith Duff Dec. 26, 2001 from Tennessee State Library and Archives, Microfilm Roll No. 104, Will Book A, page 117

Nancy Hawkins Pack descends from this Benjamin's son John Hawkins. Nancy's  familyfinder cousin  Truman Glen Hawkins descends from John's brother Raleigh.  John and Raleigh were the two sons who migrated to Dekalb Co. Alabama  about 1835.  They have many descendants living there today.  Some descendants went to Arkansas and Texas.  Nancy was kind enough to also share the Chancery Court case that is mentioned in the above:

(Nancy believes that Dorothy Smith Duff also gets credit for the transcriptions of the below)
   


and last but not least deeds that Nancy has shared:







No comments:

Post a Comment