Friday, March 3, 2017

Family Group #1

While I was working on doing some sort of updated overview of our Hawkins DNA family group #1, I realized that while Julia Norton and I have chatted for many years, I haven't chosen a subgroup for her family line.  It is a subgroup of it's own.  I wanted to put a bit of information that I have received from Julia over the years into a blog post to share with some of the participants in case they see something of interest.

First, as with the Buncombe County group, Julia's Hawkins family was in Bedford County, Virginia 1810-1820.  Her early family seems to have a John Hawkins married to a woman named Winnie (who is NOT Winnie Ford)

Silas, served as a private for 6 months about 1812 in the War of 1812.  He appears along side his brother, Benjamin in the Virginia Militia in the War of 1812, Vol. I.  He received a land grant in Kentucky for his service.
The daughter's of John and Winnie married into the Cargill, Baine, Davis, and  Miles families

The family next moves to Henry County, Kentucky.  The names there are still John and Winnie but also Silas and Richard Hawkins.  Julia descends from Silas.

John, Jr. lived in Jessamine County for the 1810 census.  His sister married James Davis in 1813 (perhaps on a visit to John, her brother).

Next comes Breckinridge Kentucky:
 Breckinridge County, KY
> Jefferson Hawkins 1829-circa 1939

Next:
Perry County, Indiana
> before 1820  Harry, Fred and Tom Hawkins --Fred remained until  1970

The family then moved to Jefferson County, Alabama and has remained in that area to the present.

Here is a transcription of the will of John Hawkins who was married to Winnie:


proved Henry County KY  about 1824
Will of John Hawkins, 30 July 1824-
"In the name of God, Amen. I, John Hawkins of the County of Henry and State of Kentucky, being aged and infirm in body, but of sound mind and memory and knowing that it is appointed for man [unreadable words], do make and declare this writing to be my last Will and Testament.
First, my soul here, and hereafter I ernestly recomend and commit to the care and control of the God of Heaven and as to the estate with which I am blessed and to which I am entitled I give and bequeath as follows.
To wit:
First I give my son John Hawkins, One Dollor and no more.
Second, I give an bequeath to my son William Hawkins, One Dollor and no more.
Third, I give and bequeath to my son Moses Hawkins, One Dollor and no more.
Fourth, I give and bequeath to my son Elijah Hawkins, One Dollor and no more.
Fifth, I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Baine, wife of John Baine, One Dollor and no more.
Sixth, I give and bequeath to my son Jesse Hawkins, One Dollor and no more.
Seventh, I give and bequeath to my son James Hawkins, One Dollor and no more.
I will and direct my executors herein after names so so on can be done to sell:
The whole of my estate be it real and personal ( except one bed and furniture which I give to my daughter Milly Miles and except also one other bed and furniture which I give to my grand-daughter Elizabeth Hawkins and the money arising from the sale aforesaid to be applied to the payment of the legacies contained in the items 1,2,3,4,5,6, and 7 afore mentioned and the balance after paying said seven legacies first afore said to be equally divided between my children to wit: Benjamin Hawkins, Richard Hawkins, Silas Hawkins, Elizabeth Davis, wife of James Davis and Milly Miles, wife of John Miles share and share alike.
Whereas my old wife Winny Hawkins may live longer that myself, in that case my will and direction is that out of the proceeds of my estate and before any legacy shall be paid or money divided, that my executors secure to her, my said wife such ample competency as shall be fully sufficent for her care, support and maintenence, during her life, and after death then the legacies herein after Richard Hawkins and John Miles is paid for taking care of my wife Winny Hawkins, the residue to be divided between my children Benjamin Hawkins, Richard Hawkins, Elizabeth Davis, Milly Miles as above directed.
Lastly I appoint my son Richard and my son-in-law, John Miles, my executors of this my last Will and Testament.
Whitness my hand and seal this 30th day of July 1824."
John Hawkins (seal) (his mark)
Attest-
Thomas (his mark) Bryant, Edward Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment